It is officially summer vacation. 77 glorious days until I start back to school again. These days are filled with so much potential and promise. 77 days staring at me, I want (need) to make these 77 days important. I want to accomplish so much during this time. Granted several of the days are already blocked and committed to some activity. Next week will involve two days of travel from Eastern Iowa to the Clover Woods Camp and Retreat Center (the former Iowa 4-H Center) as my daughter was selected to be on the state 4-H council and they will begin their training during this time. Then there is the trip to Houston with my husband. He has meetings and training, I will go to play and relax. Let me know if you have any suggestions of things to do or places to eat in the Houston area, but will be without transportation as we are flying. Does Houston have a good public transportation system? I would think so. And then in July, it is county fair time, always a busy week in the Flathers household. August creeps in with it’s Iowa State Fair, one last chance at summertime before it’s time to start the next school year.
So what are some of my goals for this summer?
- Read, I have several books that I want to read plus I have signed up for a couple of different book clubs for teachers. Anxious to get those books and begin the study.
- Crafting Time- I want to finish a couple of scrapbook albums, I also have several challenges that I need to finish. (ok, start)
- DeClutter my house, this is a goal every year and while I manage to get a bit done on this, never enough and by the next summer you would never know I had decluttered.
- Filing. I hate to file and tend to put it off. Every summer it takes me about 1 day to get caught up on the filing.
- Write More- this will be the third summer that I have signed up for the Teachers Write camp hosted by Kate Messner, Gae Polisner, Jen Vincent, and Jo Knowles. Maybe this year I will actually finish it.
- School Related- I also have a couple of goals related to the new school year. I want to get my classes set up and first units ready to go on Canvas, I am also trying to develop an interactive Notebook for my language arts classes. If you have any suggestions or links to places I can go for ideas and information on this project I would be grateful. So much of what I have looked at looks like it is geared more to elementary age and not high school aged students.
And my most important goal at least to start this summer vacation with is to get rid of this stupid cold. It started last Wednesday the night before the final day of classes and quickly became much worse ending in a visit to urgent care on Monday and now it is slowly getting better. So hard to do much of anything when you can’t breathe.